Virtual SAN 6.2 -Technical What’s New (Boston VMUG)

This was an awesome session that explained the new features coming with the 6.2 update for vSAN a couple of improvements.

  1. The first of which is QOS this is a great feature that was added to VSAN. This gives the user inside information on the IOPs that are being used per VMDK including ,setting limits on the individual VMDK, a truly great feature. GONE ARE THE DAYS OF IOP HOGS ON VSAN! Now we can control and part out IOPS to the most used VM’s on the cluster without having to worry about performance hits.
  2. VSAN dedupe and compression: this is a must have feature that just got introduced for VSAN 6.2 the ability to dedupe and compress your data keeps cost per GB down significantly.
  3. Software checksum for VSAN: the ability to check and remediate corruption on your VSAN is obviously important. And this will help and do a great job on making sure there is consistency on your data and it is corruption free while using VSAN 6.2
  4. Probably the most important of these features added are the performance Service. Now we can store and keep historical VSAN metrics on an independent database away from Vcenter for when there is issues. There is a host of other features also including cluster host and VM metrics that are tied to the VSAN performance services. Giving us an in-depth look into the capabilities of our VSAN and were potential problems will arise from.

Ontop of this there is a new health services feature that will continually check the health of the VSAN cluster and make sure nothing is out of whack! What a great tool and awesome improvement to VSAN!


Check out the VMware release PDF below

Search function not working!






So ran into an issue after an upgrade from 5.5 to 6.0 U1 EP3. Search function in VCenter would not work properly and would show as an empty inventory in Web client when logged in under a domain authenticated account.

There can be two solutions to this issue.

One solution is to restart the inventory services on your VCenter server or appliance. You can find these solutions in the KB articles below

Restarting VCenter services for windows

Restarting VCenter services for VCSA

But for my case this didn’t work. I even rebooted the entire VCenter to try to get a fresh start. For me the problem was a little bit different it seems.

The issue here seems to be the Identity resource on SSO got out of sync with the domain.While administrator@vsphere.local had the search function working and the web services functioning completely, I was a puzzled. After a quick 10 minute call to VMware the gentleman on the other side recommended we recreate the SSO identity source on the VCenter.

I took a screen shot of my SSO identity settings and took a deep breath while VCenter did its thing. Surprisingly, This seemed to fix the issue. Once the new identity source was put into place the search function returned and I could get back to business! From what i was told BY the tech at VMware this seems to be an issue they noticed often with upgrades. not really a bug of sorts but a hiccup in the upgrade process.

Documentation from VMware below.

VMware 6.0 documentation on SSO identity source


Security flaw in Client integration plugin found

So today I found a little gem that kind of concerned me. VMware placed an article in late April concerning the client integration plugin on a lot of products was vulnerable to man in the middle attacks and also hijacking the web session. Kind of a big deal if you don’t want your environment being hijacked by some Russian hijackers.

Below i have attached some articles.